7 Days Surf and Yoga Holiday in La Libertad, El Salvador
El Salvador Surf and Yoga Holiday
Practice your daily sun salutations while watching the sun rise and set over the Pacific Ocean from El Salvador Retreats' private villas near Sunzal, a quaint, beach-side town 45 minutes from the capital city. Relax and enjoy a massage treatment. Experience a surf lesson in beautiful, warm waters. Whether you’ve never surfed, wish to improve your skills, or just love exploring new waters, El Salvador Retreats will take you to world-class surf spots at your doorstep.
- 2 surf lessons
- Daily yoga practices
- 1 relaxing massage per person
- Plenty of free time to relax or explore
- Mountain tour, hiking, and town visits
- 6 nights' accommodation
- 3 daily tasty meals
- Hatha Yoga
El Salvador Retreats is lucky to have several experienced international yoga teachers living close to Sunzal to deliver high-quality yoga classes at their retreats. Each teaches their own distinct style of yoga, blended from years of teaching in the USA, UK, El Salvador, Brazil, Ireland, and India.
Surf the break within walking distance of your villa, which is great for skill building. Otherwise, you can be shuttled to the best wave for each surf session. The villas are just a short drive away from nine different surf breaks.
Seasonally, the waves in El Salvador are quite consistent. December to February usually runs two to four feet with a week or two of larger waves. This is the ideal season for beginners. March to May and October to November is generally three to five feet with a few weeks of larger surf. It is a good time for both beginners and intermediates. From June to September the waves can be very large and are more weather dependent as it is the rainy season.
This retreat is a surf-at-your-own-risk event. As El Salvador Retreats cannot predict weather and wave conditions, they will work with the group to ensure new optional activities are available in the event the surf is not cooperating. Although El Salvador Retreats does their best to get you to the right waves for your ability, there may be a period of the retreat that the waves become too sizable or the surf guide deems out of the surfer’s skill ability. In such a case, the surfer will be notified and must comply for the safety of themselves and others.
El Salvador Retreats likes to use local surf instructors as much as possible, this is their beach! They will offer translation or English-speaking instructors that will teach you all they know about these amazing surf breaks.
All activities are optional, and El Salvador Retreats will vary the timings according to the tide timings to maximize your surf opportunities. Typically you will try to surf in the morning or afternoon, whilst it’s coolest, but this will depend upon high and low tides. You’re welcome to wake up earlier and head down to the beach for an early morning surf, but please be mindful of your neighbors.
- 05:00 Coffee and snacks
- 06:00 Surf excursion, sleep in, or free time
- 09:00 Breakfast
- 10:00 Free-time or surf excursion
- 12:00 Yoga
- 14:00 Lunch
- 15:00 Waterfall hike, free time, or coffee farm excursion
- 17:00 Hammock time
- 19:00 Dinner at the villa
- 20:00 Free time or a trip into town
- 21:00 Quiet time
What is included
- Daily yoga classes (yoga mat included)
- 2 surf lessons
- 1 massage per person
- Full-day mountain tour, including colonial town visit, coffee plantation, or volcanic hot springs tour (zip-line optional)
- Half-day waterfall hike and swim
- Hike to saltwater pools, local markets tour or a night out on the town
- Daily use of high-quality surfboard
- Dropbox access to trip photos
- Unlimited use of the amenities
- Private transportation is included throughout the retreat for all scheduled trips
- Wi-Fi Internet access
- 6 nights accommodation
- Daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner (except for one night) and daily snacks
- Unlimited water refills
- Unlimited non-alcoholic beverages and limited alcoholic beverages
- 1 fresh coconut per day
What is not included
- Additional excursions such as optional zip line tours (40 USD)
- Additional private surf lessons (30 USD)
- Additional massages (50 USD per massage per person)
- Food or drink outside of the villa or organized tours
- Surf coaching and video review (50 USD per day)
- Private yoga sessions (50 USD per day)
- Travel insurance (highly recommended as surfing is an extreme sport and accidents can happen)
- Damage to surfboards (beyond minor dings), local repair costs up to 20 USD
- Personal laundry (5 USD per load)
- High-bandwidth Internet (streaming or large downloads)
- Specialty food items or off-site meals
- Atami Club access (5 USD minimum food or drink purchased at the club)
- Airport transport on arrival and departure
El Salvador Retreats hosts retreats at different venues close to El Tunco, as well as villas nearby. One Wave Surf House in El Sunzal is a beautiful ocean-view villa in a private community overlooking a famous surf break. The villa offers many luxurious features:
- Daily maid service
- Full kitchen and unlimited filtered water
- Ocean-view yoga and siesta deck with hammocks
- Private swimming pool
- 24-hour gated security
- Wi-Fi Internet service
The villa is located in secure, gated communities. Items of value are safe in the house. Passports and additional money can be stored in a safe. Private transportation is included throughout the trip for all scheduled trips. Rooms will be shared based on double to triple occupancy. If you are coming as a solo traveler expect to share a room or indicate you would rather pay a single person occupancy supplement of 650 USD.
The location is one hour from the airport and one hour from San Salvador. Check-in is after 15:00 and check-out by 11:00. There is often an opportunity to come or leave a day earlier or later, please ask El Salvador Retreats if you want to extend your trip at an additional cost. Alternatively, they can recommend guest houses nearby.
Things to Do
Feel free to book extra private yoga or surf lessons, go zip-lining, or just enjoy your free time at the villa.
El Salvador Retreats keeps it healthy, fresh, and delicious to power your yoga and surf retreat experience. Your retreat includes three daily meals and snacks, prepared by the staff and chefs:
- Morning snacks and coffee
- Hot and healthy breakfast
- Fresh fruit, smoothies, and delicious cold-lunch fixings
- Gourmet and local-fare dinners
- One fresh coconut water (seasonal), unlimited non–alcoholic beverages, and filtered water
- Beer and wine at dinner
- Cocktails and other drinks by request
Breakfast is be prepared after the morning surf session or prior to the day’s excursion. Fresh fruit, smoothies, and lunch fixings are prepped at the house to be readily enjoyed by guests at their individual convenience. Dinners are cooked daily at the house, except for an optional sunset dinner at a local restaurant.
El Salvador is known for pupusas (like a stuffed tortilla filled with meat, cheese, and vegetables). The house staff prepares fresh pupusas for dinner for one to two nights. Pupusas are served with gourmet sides and toppings.
Some of the other meals often prepared or catered at the house are:
- Yoga protein salad
- Thai curries
- Freshly-grilled Snapper and Ahi fish tacos
- Four varieties of seafood ceviche, including a tofu or chickpea option
- Rotisserie chicken, locally-grown sweet potatoes, and salads
- French-style surf-and-turf with coconut risotto and grilled vegetables
- Wood-fired pizzas, pasta, and garlic bread
- Handmade tamales and chili rellenos with rice, beans, and salad
- Burritos: fish, steak, chicken, and veggie
All non–alcoholic beverages are provided. Two beers per day or a half bottle of wine is also included. Guests that wish to consume more than the daily provision of alcoholic beverages provided are responsible for the additional cost of ingredients and alcohol. Please keep in mind: this is a very healthy and active retreat. It’s not a poolside cocktail-fest in Cancun. If you drink too much, you will miss out on fun stuff. Unlimited filtered water and ice are provided. The tap water is not safe for consumption. Don’t even brush your teeth with it.
The meals are omnivorous, but El Salvador Retreats will be happy to accommodate alternative dietary requirements (vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free). Please communicate food preferences or allergies when you book.
The following meals are included:
The following dietary requirement(s) are served and/or catered for:
- Other dietary requirements on request
- Regular (typically includes meat and fish)
The following drinks are included:
Meet The Instructors
El Salvador Retreats is managed by Tyler Trafas, the owner of One Wave Surf in Los Angeles, California, USA. El Salvador is a special surfing spot for him and he’s been coordinating group retreats here for many years.
Location One Wave Surf House, El Sunzal, El Salvador
Arrival by airplane
Please book your flight to arrive at Monseñor Óscar Arnulfo Romero International Airport (SAL). Transfer from and to this airport is available upon request with an additional fee of 40 USD for one-way and 70 USD for a round-trip. Please send an inquiry to El Salvador Retreats for other arrangements.
Booking And Cancellation Policy
- A reservation requires a deposit of 50% of the total price.
- The deposit is non-refundable, if the booking is cancelled.
- The rest of the payment should be paid on arrival.