14 Days Pranayama Training and Yoga Retreat with Paul Dallaghan in Koh Samui, Thailand
Pranayama Yoga Retreat Thailand
A synthesis of practice, techniques, physiology, and philosophy; this course aims to combine traditional practice and wisdom with scientific and psychological understanding. This year, Paul will introduce numerous findings on the breath and physiology based on his research on the scientific side, along with continuing to offer insight on the nature of prānāyāma practice and what happens in the process.
- Daily yoga classes
- Daily breath and meditation classes
- Indoor cycle and core fitness activities
- Full use of saltwater pool and herbal steam room
- 3 daily delicious and healthy food buffet
- Full use of all amenities and facilities
- 13 nights accommodation
- Hatha Yoga
This practice of prānāyāma is part of a living tradition. Paul has learnt the full practice in a special one-to-one capacity over the past 20 years with Tiwariji, who learnt directly from his teacher, Swami Kuvalayananda, an adept highly accomplished in prānāyāma and the science of yoga. He was also a devotee and spent time with his teacher, Madhavadas, on the banks of the Narmada river, also being taught this exact practice of prānāyāma.
In this way, it has been passed on very personally and effectively. Such a tradition survives all books, as it is only experience that ultimately counts. Over the years of study and introspection in this practice, Paul has had the opportunity to better understand it from direct experience and how to help pass it on and help others to practice and teach it better.
This course is designed to help you practice more effectively and understand prānāyāma techniques to a deeper degree from both the information given and the depth of practice being done in this purpose-built, dedicated environment. Based on this, you can improve as a practitioner and teacher.
This is a program that is part-practice, lecture, and discussion based on your questions.
- Breath regulation - Micro detail of how the breath works in practice
- Correct posture for sitting and prānāyāma practices
- Yoga, the breath, and the practice of prānāyāma
- Scientific considerations in understanding the breath and yoga practice
- Textual considerations in understanding the breath and yoga practice
- Some of the latest research
- Plus all relevant topics as pertains to your practice of yoga, breath, and prānāyāma
The key focus is on your practice and gaining experience. The morning session will be devoted to meditative techniques, krīya, and prānāyāma practice. This includes many practices to establish and regulate the breath as well as center the practitioner within, from energy center focus, contemplation, mantra japa, pranava japa, to annapannasati (silent awareness on the breath).
Āsana practice will be either fully guided by Paul or a mix offered in guided sessions or self-practice. The afternoon will involve continued meditative techniques and breath regulation work to help still the mental activity and trigger a shift in the autonomic nervous system thereby enabling one to get more internally connected and really touch something inside that leads to real transformation.
Within this time will be the lecture focus for the day coupled with your questions and answers to the best of the teacher’s ability followed by more prānāyāma practice. In the evening will be a mixture of personal time, further practice and chanting. Typically, Paul is not present for the evening programs, but one of the team leads them.
Through repeated practice and greater understanding, this practice can grow within. Prānāyāma is a true gift and holds a power to really transform one’s state and behavior if practiced with sincerity and dedication over time. This program is created to encourage that in you. It is recommended you continue into the next two-week program with Tiwariji and Paul to further your prānāyāma.
The program begins at 5 p.m. on the first day of the training with a group welcome. Check out is by 12 p.m. on your last day. The schedule is subject to change at the discretion of the teacher.
- 05:40 - 06:45 Beach sunrise silent watch
- 06:15 - 07:10 Standing to sitting practice: centered meditative internal practices into silence
- 07:10 - 07:30 Silent sitting (or savasana) practice while pulse analysis is taken by Paul
- 07:30 - 08:45 Full pranayama practice with Paul - detail given to improve, develop, and enhance your practice
- 08:45 - 10:30 Asana guided - SEDA: Slow Engaged Dynamic Asana, teacher assisted self-practice and restorative body
- 10:00 - 13:00 Brunch buffet
- 14:30 - 15:00 Snack
- 15:00 - 16:00 Practice - sound meditation, energy center work, pranava japa, mantra, and chanting
- 16:00 - 16:35 Yoga presentation from both tradition (experience) base and scientific information
- 16:35 - 17:00 Q&A discussion - your questions and comments for discussion following the presentation
- 17:00 - 18:00 Pranayama practice into meditative sitting
- 18:00 - 20:00 Dinner, bonus fun cycle or core TRX workout class followed by post-workout asana class (20 + 20 min’s max)
- Complimentary herbal steam room available - great after class with a swim and a beach walk
- 20:00 Evening program - music programs with special guest, meditation, private time
What is included
- Yoga and fitness program
- Full practices (up to five hours per day)
- Full total self-care program inclusions
- Herbal steam room from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Infrared saunas
- Spa therapies
- Salt water swimming pool
- 13 nights accommodation
- All room facilities (air conditioning, fridge, kettle, hairdryer, safety box)
- Daily buffet breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Mineral drinking water
- Welcome drink upon arrival
- Wi-Fi internet
- Daily housekeeping
- 10% service charge
- Applicable government tax (VAT)
What is not included
- Additional activities and services
- Additional meals and drinks
- Personal expenses
- Steam room
- Swimming pool (outdoor)
- Air-conditioned rooms
- Environmentally friendly
- Smoke-free property
- Special menu request
- Yoga shala
- Free Wi-Fi
Samahita was purpose-built to function as a retreat center dedicated to your vitality, well-being, and relaxation. The variety of private and shared room options reflect that. The rooms are set back from the main beachfront facilities perfect for quiet contemplation and relaxation.
The eco-friendly buildings make use of cross-ventilation, natural lighting, rainwater harvesting, and offer both mosquito screens, fans, and air conditioning. They have rooms for the single traveler, couples or friends, as well as loft-style accommodation that is ideal for families or two people sharing. Regardless of which room you stay in, the beach, pool, and practice spaces are seconds away.
Private room (suitable for singles or couples)
Maximum capacity is two adults, one child. The room has 35 square meters of personal space, including a private balcony. It has a queen-size bed with individual reading lamps and personal built-in shelf space at the headboard.
Also included is a large writing desk (2.5 meters), bookshelves, storage cabinet that can be locked and can accommodate large laptops, hot-water kettle, medium-size fridge, built-in wardrobe with sufficient space for luggage, ceiling fans, and air conditioning.
There is a fully equipped bathroom with large shower area and room for clothes hanging and drying.
Semi-private room (suitable for family of four or two people sharing)
Guests can enjoy approximately 25 square meters of personal space, including a private balcony. Room features include a queen-size bed with individual reading lamps, a writing desk, bookshelves, lockable storage cabinet, hot-water kettle, medium-size fridge, built-in wardrobe, ceiling fans, and air conditioning.
The bedroom section of these rooms is private and includes a dedicated entrance as well as direct access to a fully furnished bathroom, which is shared between two rooms.
Shared two-bedroom loft (suitable for two people sharing or family of four)
This room has approximately 50 square meters of personal space, which includes a private balcony. The room is split-level with a loft. Each bedroom has its own private space. There is a fully equipped bathroom shared by both bedrooms. Some of these rooms are equipped with an outdoor rain shower.
Each bedroom has a queen-size bed with individual reading lamps and a personal built-in shelf space at the headboard. Also included are a large writing desk, bookshelves, and storage cabinet that can be locked and can accommodate even large laptops, a hot-water kettle, and a medium-size refrigerator.
The loft also has two wardrobes with sufficient space for luggage, two ceiling fans, and air conditioning.
Things to Do
Samahita offers a full total self-care menu of hands-on treatments, colon hydrotherapy, and infrared sauna therapy. Book them a la carte during your stay or save and get the best value when you book one of the value package programs - detox, weight loss, brain health upgrade or total self-care.
The total self-care therapies are designed to induce full relaxation and revitalization, nurturing the whole body. These are selected therapies to help optimize physical, emotional, and mental health. The range of therapies is designed to address the special needs of your skin, muscles, joints, deep tissue, and optimal functioning of your cellular health.
It is worth the time to indulge and take care of yourself. Enjoy massages, facials, scrubs and skin treatments, such as:
- Therapeutic massage
- Deep tissue massage
- Aromatherapy massage
- Sabai massage
- Traditional Thai massage
- Foot reflexology massage
- Chi nei tsang abdominal massage
- Herbal facial treatment
- Body scrub and wrap
- Manual lymphatic drainage (MLD)
- State of the art sauna therapies
Samahita Retreat offers a full complimentary buffet to you during your stay.
- A full breakfast buffet with homemade bread, muesli and granola
- Fresh fruits from Thailand
- Homemade selection of nut butter and jams
- Fresh and organic salads, sprouts and seeds
- Homemade healthy salad dressings
- Raw dishes, salads and pastes
- Fermented probiotic rich veggies
- Vegan milks, dairy milk, and homemade electrolytes
- Freshly made juices and Thai herbal tea mixtures
- Black tea and brewed hilltribe coffee
- Freshly made egg options of your choice
- Delicious variety of lunch items, Thai, and international
- Tasty and enjoyable variety of dinner items
- Vegan, vegetarian, and fish options
- Healthy Lite Corner for both buffet times, including raw salad, fishbone broth, green detox soup, miso soup, steamed veggies and greens
Coffee, juice, and treats bar
Available to order directly at the bar.
- Organic hilltribe Thai coffee barrista-style
- Bulletproof (Keto) coffee
- Mocha, matcha and vegan bulletproof coffees
- Tea, chai, and matcha green tea
- Fresh squeezed juice combinations
- Wheatgrass and Gotu Kola shots
- Freshly made smoothies
- Probiotic drinks
- Whey protein, vegan protein, MCT oil, cacao
- Homemade chocolate treats
- Homemade energy balls and granola bars
- Gelato homemade Italian-style ice cream
- Take-away homemade spreads and treats
- A la carte food menu
The following meals are included:
The following dietary requirement(s) are served and/or catered for:
- Gluten Free
- Whole Food
The following drinks are included:
Meet The Instructors
Paul has been immersed in the practice and study of yoga, the breath, and meditative techniques for over 30 years. His dedication has come from a combination of intense practices, meditative experiences, silent retreats and numerous pilgrimages in India, Tibet and Thailand. He has had the good fortune to spend many rich years with his main teacher in pranayama and the meditative process, Sri O.P. Tiwari, and is now placed to carry forth these teachings and the tradition of Kuvalayananda. He was one of the dedicated few to spend years living in Mysore with Pattabhi Jois and certified by him.
Location Samahita Retreat, 55/20-24 Moo 4, T. Namuang, Koh Samui, Surat Thani, 84140 Thailand
Arrival by airplane
Please book your flight to arrive at Samui Airport (USM). Transfer from and to the airport is available for an additional cost of 31 USD.
Booking And Cancellation Policy
- A reservation requires a deposit of 50% of the total price.
- The deposit is non-refundable, if the booking is cancelled.
- The rest of the payment should be paid 30 days before arrival.